||Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, i2k Connect Inc. Houston, TX USA.
i2k Connect uses AI technology to enrich information with knowledge: to select, classify, summarize, structure, find and analyze unstructured information from company repositories and the Web.
||Enterprise Content Management Director and IT Upstream Services Manager, Marathon Oil Corporation. Houston, TX USA.
In 2007, Marathon was an integrated oil and gas company. In 2011, it split into two separate companies: Marathon Oil Corporation – independent upstream oil and gas company with international operations in exploration and production, oil sands mining and integrated gas; and Marathon Petroleum Corporation – refining, marketing and transportation of petroleum products.
||Managing Director, R.G. Smith & Associates. Missouri City, TX USA.
Knowledge management consultancy. Clients included the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.
||Senior Vice President, Information Solutions, Medstory. Foster City,
A "vertical search" company for health and medicine. Microsoft acquired the company in 2007 and incorporated the technology into the bing search engine. The Medstory approach is to use Artificial Intelligence techniques to synthesize the meaning of each user search in the context of health and medicine, and to use this knowledge to help refine and guide the search.
||Vice President, Knowledge Management, Schlumberger Limited. Houston,
Oilfield services company whose products
and services include formation evaluation, directional drilling, well cementing, stimulation,
well completions and productivity to consulting, software, information management and IT infrastructure
Initiated and led the worldwide knowledge management program. The bottom line contribution was estimated by line management to exceed $200M per year. During this period, Schlumberger was twice named to the Most Admired Knowledge Enterprises (MAKE) list of top 20 global companies and received a Wharton-Infosys Business Transformation Award. The work was recognized in several benchmarking studies by APQC and the CIO Executive Board.
||Vice President and Director, Schlumberger Cambridge Research. Cambridge, England.
Managed advanced technology development center for Schlumberger's Oilfield Services business. This included a wide variety of scientific disciplines and technologies (e.g., fluid dynamics, chemistry, geophysics). Led development of technology roadmaps, resulting in a medal awarded by the Institution of Chemical Engineers.
||Vice President and Director, Schlumberger Laboratory for Computer Science. Austin,
Started and managed Schlumberger's advanced software development center, with units in the United States
and in France. Led the effort to improve software quality and software development productivity across
the company. Initiated and carried out advanced development projects for new software products and services.
Technologies included high-performance computing, artificial intelligence and 3D visualization.
||Director, Schlumberger Palo Alto Research. Palo Alto, CA, USA.
Managed advanced development center for Schlumberger's technology business. Technologies included M-CAD,
E-CAD and ATE.
||Program Manager, Knowledge-Based Computer-Aided Engineering, Schlumberger Palo Alto Research. Palo Alto, CA, USA.
||Program Leader, Knowledge-Based Systems, Schlumberger-Doll Research. Ridgefield, CT, USA.
||Defence Scientific Officer, Defence Research Establishment Atlantic. Dartmouth,
Nova Scotia, Canada.
||Royal Canadian Navy, Seconded to Defence Research Establishment Atlantic. Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Publications and Presentations
Google Scholar Citations
Presentations are displayed in green.
- Reid G. Smith, Eric J. Schoen and Jay M. Tenenbaum, "Early AI Applications at Schlumberger," in IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 88-102, 1 Jan.-March 2022, doi: 10.1109/MAHC.2022.3149469.
- Eric J. Schoen, Reid G. Smith and John S. Boden. AI Supports Information Discovery and Analysis in an SPE Research Portal. Presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, TX, September 2018. SPE-191758-MS. (SPE Research Portal: https://search.spe.org/)
- Bruce G. Buchanan, Randall Davis, Reid G. Smith and Edward A. Feigenbaum. Expert Systems: A View from Computer Science. In K. Ericsson, R. Hoffman, A. Kozbelt, & A. Williams (Eds.). The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance (Cambridge Handbooks in Psychology), pp. 84-104, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2018.
- J. Eckroth, L. Dong, R. G. Smith and B.G. Buchanan. NewsFinder: Automating an Artificial Intelligence News Service. AI Magazine, 33(2): 43-54, Summer 2012.
- Case Study: Implementing Enterprise Content Management at Marathon Oil. Presented at
Gartner Portals, Content & Collaboration Summit 2012, Orlando, FL, 12 May, 2012.
- The Intersection of KM, Content Management, Information Management and Records Management (Reid G. Smith and Karen V. Strong). Presented at
APQC's 17th Knowledge Management Conference, Houston, TX, 26 April, 2012.
- Making knowledge flow through knowledge connections (Reid G. Smith and Tim Stouffer).
Presented at Knowledge and Information Management for Oil and Gas USA and Energy Process
Excellence Network 2010, Houston, TX, 8 December, 2010.
- Optimizing Information Management To Connect People To Information and Expertise (Reid G. Smith and Damon Simmons). Presented at Integrating Knowledge & Information Management Summit for E&P, Houston, TX, 27 September, 2010.
- Managing an Information Governance Framework on a Global Scale: Maximizing Business Benefit, Minimizing Risk. Presented at Knowledge and Information Management for Oil and Gas, Aberdeen, UK, 29 April, 2010.
MaraView – Marathon's Enterprise Content Management Solution
Presented at Microsoft Global Energy Forum 2010, Houston, TX, 21 January, 2010.
- Strengthening Information Management for Reduced Risk (Reid G. Smith and Russell Stalters). Presented at Oil & Gas Exchange London 2008, London, England, 18 November, 2008.
- The New Communications World (Karen V. Strong and Reid G. Smith). Presented at Managing Electronic Records 2008, Chicago, IL, 19 May, 2008.
- B.G. Buchanan, J. Glick and R.G. Smith. The AAAI Video Archive. AI Magazine, 29(1): 91-94, Spring 2008.
- A.T. Rappaport, D.R. Adamson, L. Shih, R.G. Smith, M. Tenenbaum, B. Khoo, S. Cho, A.C. Wolff, R.W. Carlson,
and D.A. Whippen; Medstory, Inc., Burlingame, CA; ASCO, Alexandria, VA; Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA;
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD. Smart Search and Analysis of ASCO Abstracts: The 2003 ASCO Pilot Breast Cancer Information Exchange (BCIE) project. ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology) Annual Meeting Abstracts, New Orleans, 6 June, 2004, Abstract No. 6066. Republished in Journal of Clinical Oncology 22, no. 14_suppl (July 15, 2004) 6066-6066.
- What's Next for Knowledge Management? Evolution and Revolution
(Reid Smith and Guillermo Arango). Presented at APQC's Ninth Knowledge Management Conference – Getting
Results from Knowledge Management: Real-World Best Practices. Grapevine, Texas 7 May, 2004.
- Knowledge in Action. Presented
at Trinidad & Tobago Institute Of Technology (TTIT), 2 April, 2004.
- Knowledge in Action. Presented to the Whitehall & Industry Group, London, England, 9 December, 2003.
- Retaining Practical Knowledge: Proactive Strategies To Deal With A Shifting Work Force. Presented at the Planned
Parenthood Health Care Institute, San Francisco, CA, 1 May, 2003.
- Practical Knowledge Management at Schlumberger InTouch. Information Management Forum. IT Leading
the Enterprise's Return to Innovation, San Diego, CA, 10 February, 2003.
- Connecting People, Sharing Knowledge: Schlumberger Excellence in Educational Development. 2002 CEO Forum on Sustainable Business, San Jose, CA, 16 October, 2002.
- Practical Knowledge Management at Schlumberger: InTouch. Virtual Communities Conference, London, England, 17 June, 2002.
- Conference Chairman. Knowledge Management in Oil & Gas, London, England, 23-24 May, 2002.
- Panel Member: CKO Panel - The Buyer Perspective. KM & Communities 2001 East, New York, NY, 11
- Using Global Knowledge Networks to Make a Quantum Leap in Operational Efficiency. Presented at the Interactive
Energy Conference, Houston, TX, 6 December, 2001.
- Communities of Practice: Building and Sustaining Knowledge Networks to Drive Business Results (with Bob
Newhouse, APQC). Presented at KMWorld 2001, Santa Clara, CA, 30 October, 2001.
- Next Generation Knowledge Management at PDVSA (with Cindy Hubert, APQC). Presented at the Third PDVSA
KM International Forum,, Caracas, Venezuela, 16 October, 2001.
- Knowledge Management in Oil & Gas. Presented at the 1st Repsol-YPF Exploration and Production Technical
Congress, Madrid, Spain, 26 September, 2001.
- Saad Bargach, Charles Martin and Reid Smith. Managing Drilling Knowledge for Improved Efficiency and Reduced Operational Risk. Presented at the SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Amsterdam, February 2001. SPE/IADC 67821. Reprinted in the Journal of Petroleum Technology, September, 2001, pp. 83-84.
- Knowledge Management - The Road Ahead. Presented at "Unleashing the Power of Partnerships", the
2nd Conference & Expo of the Staff Exchange Program of The World Bank Group, Washington, D.C., 9 May,
- Knowledge Management at Schlumberger. Presented at the Leveraging HR through Knowledge Management seminar,
Confederation of Indian Industry, Mumbai, India, 3 April, 2001.
- A. Amin, S. Bargach, J. Donegan, C. Martin, R.G. Smith, M. Burgoyne, P. Censi, P. Day and R. Kornberg. Building
a Knowledge-Sharing Culture. Oilfield Review 13, no. 1 (Spring 2001): 48-65.
- E. Åbø, L. Chipperfield, C. Mottershead, J. Old, R. Prieto, J. Stemke and R.G. Smith. Managing
Knowledge Management. Oilfield Review 13, no. 1 (Spring 2001): 66-83.
- What's Required in Knowledge Technologies - A Practical View. Presented at the Knowledge Technologies Conference, Austin, Texas, 6 March, 2001.
- Reid G. Smith and Adam Farquhar. The Road Ahead for Knowledge Management: An AI Perspective. AI
- Vincent Polley and Reid Smith. KM in the Legal Community: The Schlumberger LawHub. Presented at APQC's
Fifth Knowledge Management Conference -Taking Knowledge and Best Practices to the Bottom Line. Las
Vegas, 8 December, 2000.
- Technology Support for Communities of Practice. Presented at the American Productivity & Quality Center
Knowledge Transfer Session - Successfully Implementing Knowledge Management, Houston, Texas, 8, February, 2000.
- Knowledge Management. Presented at the Arthur Andersen Energy Symposium, Session on Knowledge
Management in the Energy Industry, Houston, December 8, 1998.
- Knowledge Management. Presented at the Technology Ventures Congress, Glasgow, Scotland, October
- W. E. Preeg, R.G. Smith, and D. E. O'Brien. Advances in E&P Technology That Extend the Development
of Conventional Hydrocarbons. Presented at the 17th Congress of the World Energy Council, Houston,
Texas, 13-18 September, 1998.
- R.G. Smith and G. C. Maitland. The Road
Ahead To Real-Time Oil & Gas Reservoir Management. Transactions
of the Institution of Chemical Engineers: Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Vol 76A, pp. 539-552,
- R&D Management: From Distributed to Virtual. Presented at the International Quality and Productivity
Centre Conference on Managing The Virtual Laboratory: Moving towards 5th Generation R&D, London,
UK, February, 1998.
- Technology Challenges in Well Construction and Well Productivity. Offshore Drilling Technologies
Workshop - From Today Through To Tomorrow, Aberdeen, UK, November, 1997.
- G. Arango, N. Colley, C. Connelly, K. Greenes, K. Pearse, J. Denis, P. Highnam, C. Durbec, L. Gutman, D.
Sims, S. Jardine, T. Jervis, R. Smith, and R. Miles. What's In IT for Us? Oilfield Review 9, no.
3 (Autumn 1997): 2-19.
- The Road Ahead to Real-Time Reservoir Management. Technology Foresight Lecture, Royal Society
of Edinburgh, UK, 17 April, 1997. (Variants were presented at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, 18 April,
1997 and at the GeoQuest European Client Forum, Prague, Czech Republic, 2 May, 1997.)
- Networks and the Web in an International Technical Company. Technology Strategy Forum, IBM
Hursley Park, UK, April, 1997.
- Research and Development Methodology at Schlumberger. International Quality and Productivity Centre
Conference on Performance Measurements for R&D, London, UK, July, 1996 and December, 1996.
- Transforming R&D into a Customer-Focused Organization. 5th Conference on Global
Business Issues of Technology and R&D, Management Centre Europe, Brussels, Belgium, June, 1996
(with V. Reichert).
- New Technology for Reservoir Optimization. 5th Annual Conference on Advances in Reservoir
Technology (ART '96), London, UK, March, 1996.
- Technology Strategy for Schlumberger Oilfield Services. Petroleum Science and Technology Institute
Forum, Edinburgh, UK, November, 1995.
- Panel Member: Industrial case histories, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals Symposium on Assessment
of the Value of R&D in Creating National and Corporate Prosperity, Cambridge, UK, October, 1995.
- New Frontiers for Schlumberger. Cambridge University Petroleum Engineering Conference, Cambridge, UK, September,
- Redesigning R&D for Improved Oilfield Economics. AAPG International Conference and Exhibition, Nice,
France, September, 1995.
- Panel Member: Information Technology, Stanford Computer Forum, Stanford, CA, USA, February 1994.
- R.G. Smith and A. C. Scott, editors. Innovative
Applications of Artificial Intelligence 3. The
AAAI Press/The MIT Press, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1991.
- A. R. Rappaport and R.G. Smith, editors. Innovative
Applications of Artificial Intelligence 2. The
AAAI Press/The MIT Press, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1991.
- E. Schoen, R.G. Smith, and B. G. Buchanan. The Knowledge Base Designer's Assistant: A Preliminary Report.
In M. Tokoro, Y. Anzai, and A. Yonezawa, editors, Concepts and Characteristics of Knowledge-based Systems. pp. 105-136, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1990.
- Keynote Speaker: Artificial Intelligence in the Oilfield: A Schlumberger Perspective. Artificial
Intelligence in Petroleum Exploration and Production Conference, Texas A&M University, College
Station, TX, USA, May, 1990.
- B. G. Buchanan and R.G. Smith. Fundamentals of Expert Systems. In A. Barr and P. R. Cohen and E. A. Feigenbaum,
editors, The Handbook of Artificial Intelligence, volume IV, chapter XVIII, pp. 150-192. Addison-Wesley,
Reading, MA, 1989.
- C. Jette and R.G. Smith. Examples of Reusability in an Object-Oriented Programming Environment. In T.
J. Biggerstaff and A. J. Perlis, editors, Software Reusability, volume II: Applications and Experience, pp. 73-101. ACM Press, New York, New York, 1989.
- Panel Member: Review of 1989 Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference, International
Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Detroit, MI, USA, August, 1989.
- E. Schoen, R.G. Smith, and B. G. Buchanan. Design of Knowledge-Based Systems with a Knowledge-Based Assistant. IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering, 14(12):1771-1791, December 1988.
- E. Schoen and R.G. Smith. The Knowledge Base Designer's Assistant: A Preliminary Report. In Proceedings
of the Schlumberger Software Conference 1988, pp. 279-293, Ann Arbor, MI, November 1988.
- B. G. Buchanan and R.G. Smith. Fundamentals of Expert Systems. In J. F. Traub, B. J. Grosz, B. W. Lampson,
and N. J. Nilsson, editors, Annual Review of Computer Science, volume 3, pp. 23-58. Annual Reviews
Inc., Palo Alto, CA, 1988.
- AI at Schlumberger, AAAI National Conference, Panel on Results from a Study of the First Wave of Expert Systems Applications to Business, Saint Paul, MN, USA, August, 1988.
- R.G. Smith, P. S. Barth, and R. L. Young. A Substrate for Object-Oriented Interface Design. In B. Shriver
and P. Wegner, editors, Research Directions In Object-Oriented Programming, pp. 253-315. MIT Press,
Cambridge, MA, 1987.
- E. Wisniewski, H. Winston, R.G. Smith, and M. Kleyn. A Conceptual Clustering Program for Rule Generation. International
Journal of Man-Machine Studies, (27):295-313, 1987.
- Knowledge-Intensive Development Environments. IFIP WG10.1 Workshop on Concepts and Characteristics
of Knowledge-Based Systems, Mt. Fuji, Japan, November, 1987.
- Reusability In An Object-Oriented Programming Environment. AMCEE/NTU Software Reuse Seminar (Satellite
Broadcast), Palo Alto, CA, USA, October, 1987.
- B.G. Buchanan and R.G. Smith. Expert Systems Project Management. AAAI National Conference, Tutorial No. MA-2, Seattle, WA, July, 1987.
- Form and Content in Knowledge-Intensive Development Environments. IEEE CompCon, Panel on Future Knowledge Engineering Environments, San Francisco, CA, February, 1987.
- R.G. Smith and R. L. Young. Dipmeter Advisor System: Log Interpretation System in Oil Field. In Expert
Systems: Theory and Application, pp. 227-242. Nikkei McGraw-Hill, Inc., Tokyo, Japan, 1986. (In Japanese)
- R.G. Smith, R. Dinitz, and P. Barth. Impulse-86:
A Substrate for Object-Oriented Interface Design. In Proceedings
of the First ACM Conference on Object Oriented Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA'86), pp. 167-176, September
- H. A. Winston, R.G. Smith, M. Kleyn, and T. M. Mitchell and B. G. Buchanan. Learning Apprentice Systems
Research at Schlumberger. In T. M. Mitchell, J. G. Carbonell, and R. S. Michalski, editors, Machine Learning: A Guide to Current Research, pp. 379-383. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 1986.
- G. M. E. Lafue and R.G. Smith. Implementation of An Integrity Manager With A Knowledge Representation
System. In L. Kerschberg, editor, Expert Database Systems. Springer-Verlag, 1986, pp. 333-350.
- Knowledge-Intensive Development Environments. AAAI
National Conference, Panel on Future Directions
for Expert Systems, Philadelphia, PA, USA, August, 1986.
- R.G. Smith. Report on the 1984 Distributed Artificial Intelligence Workshop. AI Magazine, 6(3):234-243, Fall 1985.
- Representation in Knowledge-Based Systems. AI Europa, Wiesbaden, Germany, September, 1985.
- R.G. Smith, H. A. Winston, T. M. Mitchell, and B. G. Buchanan. Representation and Use of Explicit Justifications for Knowledge Base Refinement. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 673-680, Los Angeles, CA, August 1985.
- G. M. E. Lafue and R.G. Smith. A Modular Tool Kit For Knowledge Management. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 46-52, Los Angeles, CA, August 1985.
Reprinted in Readings in Artificial Intelligence and Databases, J. Mylopoulos and M. L. Brodie, editors, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., 1988.
- Information Appliances: Relevant Artificial Intelligence Themes. National Computer Conference, Panel on Trends in Computer Systems Technology, Chicago, IL, USA, July 15, 1985.
- Substrates for Log Interpretation and Interpretation Development. AAPG Research Conference on Knowledge-Based Geologic Information Systems, Keystone, CO, USA, May, 1985 (with Eric Schoen and Gilles Lafue).
- Computational Description of Depositional Environments. AAPG Research Conference on Knowledge-Based Geologic Information Systems, Keystone, CO, USA, May, 1985 (with Robert Young and Gordon Pirie).
- Knowledge-Based Systems: Concepts, Techniques, Examples. Canadian High Technology Show , Ottawa, ON, Canada, May 8, 1985 (half-day course).
- R.G. Smith, R. L. Young, G. Lafue, and H. Winston. The Expert Geology Systems Program: Schlumberger-Doll
Research. SIGART Newsletter, (92):118-120, April 1985 (Special Section on AI in Engineering, D. Sriram and R Joobbani, editors).
- R.G. Smith and R. L. Young. The Design of the Dipmeter Advisor System. In Proceedings of the ACM Annual
Conference, pp. 15-23, New York, October 1984.
- Artificial Intelligence Methods In Well Logging: Substrates and Systems. International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Potential for Applications, La Chartreuse de Villeneuve-les-Avignon, France, October, 1984.
- R.G. Smith, G. M. E. Lafue, E. Schoen, and S. C. Vestal. Declarative Task Description as a User Interface
Structuring Mechanism. IEEE Computer, 17(9):29-38, September 1984.
- R.G. Smith. On the Development of Commercial Expert Systems. AI
Magazine, 5(3):61-73, Fall 1984.
Reprinted in Readings from AI Magazine, Volumes 1-5, 1980-1985, R. Engelmore, editor, American Association
for Artificial Intelligence, 1988.
- Knowledge-Based System Technology and Well Logging. 5th Generation Computing and Expert Systems Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, September, 1984.
- An Expert System For Dipmeter Interpretation. Society of Exploration Geophysicists Symposium, Las
Vegas, NV, USA, September, 1983.
- R. Davis and R.G. Smith. Negotiation as a Metaphor for Distributed Problem Solving. Artificial Intelligence, 20:63-109, 1983. Reprinted in Marc-Philippe Huget (Ed.). Communication in Multiagent Systems: Agent Communication Languages and Conversation Policies (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2650). Springer Verlag, August 2003.
- E. Schoen and R.G. Smith. Impulse: A Display-Oriented Editor for Strobe. In Proceedings
of the National Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, pp. 356-358, Washington, DC, August
- R.G. Smith. Review of Machine Intelligence 10. Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 21, pp. 351-359, 1983.
- R.G. Smith and J. D. Baker. The Dipmeter Advisor System: A Case Study in Commercial Expert System Development. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Volume 1, pp. 122-129, Karlsrühe, Germany, August 1983.
- R.G. Smith. Strobe: Support For Structured Object Knowledge Representation. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 855-858, Karlsrühe, Germany, August
- R.G. Smith. CNET: Simulation of Distributed Problem Solving. SIGART Newsletter, No. 80, p. 16,
- T. M. Mitchell, L. Steinberg, R.G. Smith, P. Schooley, H. Jacobs, and V. Kelly. Representations For Reasoning
About Digital Circuits. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp.
343-344, Vancouver, Canada, August 1981.
- R.G. Smith and R. Davis. Frameworks
For Cooperation In Distributed Problem Solving. IEEE Transactions
on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC-11(1):61-70, January 1981. Reprinted in Readings
in Distributed Artificial Intelligence, A. H. Bond and L. Gasser, editors, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., 1988.
- R.G. Smith. A Framework For Distributed Problem Solving. UMI Research Press, Ann Arbor, MI, 1981.
- R.G. Smith. The Contract Net Protocol: High-Level Communication and Control in a Distributed Problem Solver. IEEE Transactions on Computers, C-29(12):1104-1113, December 1980. Reprinted in Readings in Distributed Artificial Intelligence, A. H. Bond and L. Gasser, editors, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., 1988.
- R.G. Smith and P. Friedland. Unit Package User's Guide. Technical Memorandum 80/L, Defence Research Establishment Atlantic, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, December 1980. Also published as HPP-80-28, Heuristic Programming Project, Stanford University.
- R. Davis and R.G. Smith. Cooperative Problem Solving With The Contract Net. SIGART Newsletter, No.
73, pp. 45-46, October 1980.
- R.G. Smith. Applications Of The Contract Net Framework: Search. In Proceedings of the 1980 National Conference of the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence, pp. 232-239, Saskatoon, Canada, May 1980.
- R.G. Smith and R. Davis. Cooperation In Distributed Problem Solving. In Proceedings of the 1979 International
Conference on Cybernetics and Society, pp. 366-371, October 1979.
- R.G. Smith. The Contract Net Protocol: High-Level Communication And Control In A Distributed Problem Solver.
In Proceedings of the First International Conference On Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 185-192,
- R.G. Smith. A Framework For Distributed Problem Solving. In Proceedings of the Sixth International
Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 836-841, Tokyo, Japan, August 1979.
- R.G. Smith. A Framework For Problem Solving In A Distributed Processing Environment. Ph.D. dissertation,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, December 1978. Also published as Stanford University Computer Science
Department Technical Report STAN-CS-78-700 (HPP-78-28).
- R.G. Smith and R. Davis. Applications Of The Contract Net Framework: Distributed Sensing. In Proceedings
of the ARPA Distributed Sensor Net Symposium, pp. 12-20, December 1978.
- R.G. Smith and T. M. Mitchell. Considerations For Microprocessor-based Terminal Design. In Proceedings
of the 12th Annual Asilomar Conference on Circuits, Systems, and Computers, pp. 437-441, November 1978.
- R.G. Smith and R. Davis. Distributed Problem Solving: The Contract Net Approach. In Proceedings of
the Second National Conference of the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence, pp.
278-287, Toronto, Canada, July 1978.
- B. G. Buchanan, T. M. Mitchell, R.G. Smith, and C. R. Johnson Jr. Models of Learning Systems. In Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology, volume 11, pp. 24-51. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, 1978.
- R.G. Smith. The CONTRACT NET: A Formalism For The Control Of Distributed Problem Solving. In Proceedings of the Fifth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, p. 472, Cambridge, MA, August 1977.
- R.G. Smith, T. M. Mitchell, R. A. Chestek, and B. G. Buchanan. A Model For Learning Systems. In Proceedings
of the Fifth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 338-343, Cambridge, MA, August 1977.
- R. Chestek, R.G. Smith, and B. Widrow. Adaptive Formation Of Resource Allocation Strategies. Technical
Report SEL-32-76, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, March 1977.
- R.G. Smith. Cepstrum Analysis For Passive Sonar Data Processing. U. S. Navy Journal of Underwater Acoustics, Vol.
21, pp. 317-326, April 1976.
||Tutorial Lecturer: Expert Systems Project Management (with B. G. Buchanan). American
Association for Artificial Intelligence National Conference.
||Tutorial Lecturer: Knowledge-Based Systems: Concepts, Techniques, Examples. Canadian
High Technology Show.
||Lecturer: Artificial Intelligence (senior course). Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computing Science, Dalhousie Universtiy, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Honors and Awards
||IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Contributor.
"selected to the Inaugural Class of IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Contributors"
||Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
"for significant contributions to distributed problem solving and
knowledge management, and for leadership and entrepreneurship in industrial applications of
Robert S. Engelmore Award of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).
"for pioneering research contributions and high-impact applications in knowledge management and for extensive contributions to AAAI, including educating and inspiring the broader community about AI through AITopics"
paper award of the International Foundation of Autonomous Agents
and Multi-Agent Systems (with Randall Davis) for the 1983 paper—Negotiation
as a Metaphor for Distributed Problem Solving—based on the Contract Net protocol,
introduced in Smith's Ph.D. dissertation.
||Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).
"for significant contributions to the science and practice of knowledge management, and for his role as principal architect of the widely cited contract net methodology"
||Institution of Chemical Engineers Hutchison Medal (with G.C. Maitland).
Awarded for the paper—The Road Ahead To Real-Time Oil & Gas Reservoir Management.
||Special Advisor, Retaining Valuable Knowledge: Proactive Strategies to Deal with
a Shifting Work Force, APQC Benchmarking Study
||Conference Chairman. Knowledge Management in Oil & Gas, London, England
||Board Member, Centre for Marine and Petroleum Technology.
||Advisory Board Member, Heriot-Watt University, Petroleum Engineering Department
||Board Member, Marine Technology Directorate
||Advisory Board Member, University of Aberdeen, Petroleum Geoscience Department
||Advisory Board Member, Georgia Institute of Technology, College of Computing
||Industrial Partner Advisory Board Member, National Center for Supercomputing Applications
||Chairman, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Innovative Applications Conference
||Co-Chairman, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Innovative Applications Conference
||Management Board and Editorial Board Member, AAAI Press
||Program Committee Member, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Innovative Applications Conference
||Councilor, American Association for Artificial Intelligence
||Program Committee Member, American Association for Artificial Intelligence Spring Symposium: Knowledge System Development Tools and Languages
||Program Chairman, American Association for Artificial Intelligence National Conference
||Program Committee Member, American Association for Artificial Intelligence National
||Panel Moderator, Association for Computing Machinery Conference on Object Oriented
Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA'87): Design Methodology for Object-Oriented Programming.
Orlando, FL, USA, October, 1987. Introduction
||Workshop Chairman, Association for Computing Machinery Conference on Object Oriented
Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA'86): Object-Oriented Graphics and User Interfaces Portland, OR, USA, September 29, 1986.
||Program Committee Member, Association for Computing Machinery Conference on
Object Oriented Systems, Languages, and Applications
||Program Committee Member, International Conference on Expert Database Systems
||Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Expert Systems
||Organizer, Distributed Artificial Intelligence Workshop
||Program Committee Member, National Conference of the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence
/ Société Canadienne pour Etudes d'intelligence par Ordinateur (CSCSI/SCEIO)
||Student Branch Chairman, Institute For Electrical And Electronics Engineers, Carleton University
Reflections on Knowledge Management
The main challenge in sustaining a high-performance knowledge management program is to nurture
a knowledge-sharing culture that produces bottom-line results. See what it takes to succeed.
Drug Industry Workshops
The New Thinking workshop series sought to create a knowledge network aimed at developing breakthrough ideas that enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to achieve the next level of performance – and accelerate the transformation of the drug industry.
What is knowledge management? How about knowledge, information and data?
Knowledge management is about connections. Who you know is as important as what you know. Learn how to build
the robust connections important for knowledge management.
||Measuring Progress in Knowledge Management Programs
Measurement is a means for demonstrating the progress of your knowledge management program. It
is essential for continued organizational support, for understanding what is working, and for determining what needs to be changed to ensure the expected benefits are realized.
Management in Legal Departments
KM is being pursued in in-house legal departments and in law firms. Typical goals include: increasing efficiency, providing consistent service, working effectively as a global team, accelerating professional training & development, and improving recruiting, morale and employee retention.
Power = KnowledgeShared
According to the old adage, one plus one equals three. See how the power of an organization is exponentially related to its shared knowledge.
Useful books for the new or seasoned knowledge manager.